Steps to File Form 2290
2290online.com - Easy-to-Follow Steps to File 2290 Form Infographic
Download the 2290 Form Filing Steps Infographic
Step 1: Create an account or log in
Current customers can simply log in to access their account and start filing. New customers will create an account and have the option to file as a Single Fleet account (for companies with one or multiple EINs to file) or as a Tax Preparer account (for third parties).
Step 2: Enter vehicle information
Once you are logged in, click on the "Vehicles" tab in the top left corner. You'll be given two options:
- Option 1: Manually enter vehicle data by clicking on "Add a Vehicle". The Vehicle Number is the unique number you assign to each vehicle.
- Option 2: If you have many vehicles, you can choose "Import Vehicle Data".
Step 3: Start filing
Choose the "Tax Filing" tab after vehicles are entered. On the left side of the screen, look for the "Common Tasks" heading. Select "Add 2290 Tax Filing" beneath it and start filing! For step-by-step guidance on how to file, see instructions below.
2290 Filing Instructions Step-by-Step
At any time during the filing process, you can go back to a previous screen by clicking "Previous."
- Select the Tax Period and Month you are filing. Click "Next."
- Review the Company and Signing Authority information. If you edit your address, check the box to "Report Address Change to IRS." Click "Next."
- Click "Select Vehicles" and select the vehicle(s) to include in the filing. Do not include vehicles you intend to suspend. Click "Save" and "Next" after each step below:
- Suspend any vehicles not expected to exceed 5,000 miles during the filing year.
- Identify any vehicles that were sold, stolen or destroyed during the previous filing year for which you can claim a credit in the current filing year.
- Identify any vehicles driven less than 5,000 miles during the previous tax filing year for which a credit can be claimed in the current filing year.
- Account for any suspended vehicles in the previous tax filing year that exceeded the minimum mileage limit so that you can file correctly this tax filing year.
- Identify and select any vehicles sold or transferred to another owner that had previously been suspended.
- Identify another employee, preparer, or other third party to discuss your Form 2290 filing with the IRS.
- Consent for your filing to be shared with government agencies.
- Review any errors found. Any errors will be noted on the screen in RED.
- Enter your payment information to file with J. J. Keller.
- Choose to e-file or manually print and file the return. In most cases, e-filing is faster.
- Choose IRS Tax Payment:
- Direct debit with checking or savings account, OR
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).
- If e-filing, enter the 5-digit PIN that you created to digitally sign the 8453-EX. To create the PIN, simply type a 5-digit number in the entry box and click "Next."
Note: You will need to remember this PIN if you call the IRS to discuss this filing. You will not be able to re-display this PIN beyond this screen.
- You can now e-file your return and print a copy for your records.
Please take note of the information that states the response time and your recordkeeping requirements.
The accepted Form 2290 filing will be delivered to your 2290online.com account once the IRS has accepted it. You will be notified by email (to the email address used as your user name during sign-up) of any updates to your 2290online.com account.
Once you have your accepted Schedule 1, you can view and print it from the "Tax Filing" tab in your 2290online.com account and provide to your local DOT office.
QUESTIONS ON 2290
If you have questions about 2290online, please check our links below first, as many common questions are addressed there.
7am-6pm Central, Monday-Friday